Sunday, March 21, 2010

How artists identify.

While driving home from Bowling Green today, I heard Herbie Hancock on the radio doing an interview. He was explaining how his music had progressed recently, and he said something that stuck with me.

He said that before, he had considered his identity as that of a musician. Now, he says, being a musician is what he does. His identity belongs to humanity, though, and he uses themes in his work such as environmental change and whatnot to emphasize this.

I have heard something similar coming from the Dalai Lama. He says:

"In general, I always state that I have three commitments in life. Firstly, on the level of a human being, my first commitment is the promotion of human values such as compassion, forgiveness, tolerance, contentment and self-discipline. All human beings are the same. We all want happiness and do not want suffering. Even people who do not believe in religion recognize the importance of these human values in making their lives happier. I remain committed to talk about the importance of these human values and share them with everyone I meet. Secondly, on the level of a religious practitioner, my second commitment is the promotion of religious harmony and understanding amongst different religious traditions. Despite philosophical differences, all major world religions have the same potential to create better human beings. It is therefore important for all religious traditions to respect one another and recognize the value of each other's respective traditions. Thirdly, I am a Tibetan and carry the name of the Dalai Lama. Tibetans place their trust in me. Therefore, my third commitment is to the Tibetan issue. I have a responsibility to act the free spokesperson of the Tibetans in their struggle for justice. As far as this third commitment, it will cease to exist once a mutually beneficial solution is reached between the Tibetans and Chinese. However, my first two commitments I will carry on till my last breath."

We all have groups we associate with our identity, and as an artist, I believe my identity should be shaped first by my commitment as a human, and second as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment